Yesterday evening the Office of Sport released a letter from the Chief Health Officer highlighting several recommendations in regards to inter-regional/zonal community sport which comes into effect for an initial six week period.
These recommendations include:
- Cease activities that result in the mixing of participants and staff from different regions (Metro to Country / Country to Metro), for example by ceasing zone, regional or state championships or competitions
- Cease any activities that result in overnight stays (e.g. multiday training camps) due to increased risk of COVID transmission in residential-type settings with shared facilities
- Cease face-to-face social activities relating to community sports (e.g. award ceremonies, end-of-season social gatherings, post-training group dinners)
- Avoid carpools or bus travel with people from different household groups where possible
- For local activities, limit spectators to one parent only, where the child requires parental supervision during the sporting activity.
As a result of these recommendations, Tennis NSW are advising that the following types of tournaments, competition or events are cancelled or re-scheduled with immediate effect and for a further 6 week period;
- Regional Representative tournaments
- Regional or Zonal talent camps
- Champion of Champions
- MultiDay tournaments
- School Gala Days or Festivals
- InterSchool Round Robin events e.g. Todd Woodbridge Cup
Local Intra and Inter-Club competitions will continue to operate including the TNSW facilitated Sydney Badge and the NSW Super Series events. We continue to ask that all event organisers are monitoring entries to limit significant travel, overnight stays and ensure that every host venue has an appropriate COVID-19 Safety Plan
Please accept our apologies for the short notice in regards to this advice however this was only received at 5pm on Monday 17 August. We have moved quickly to interpret these recommendations and land on a position that we believe is aligned with the intent with which they have been issued.
If you have any questions please contact your local Club Development Officer or [email protected]
Stay safe and well